Saturday, July 5, 2008

Move over Diwali....it's July 4th in India

Last night we decided to go out and get some good ol' fashioned Indian fireworks.  Mind you most of these fireworks would be highly illegal in the US.  We got a couple of bottle rockets, the Indian version of M-80s which are aptly called "bombs," and a shell...yup that's right: the type of shell that fires straight into the air and blows up.

We approached our the track in front of the boy's hostel to light the fireworks when we started getting whistled at by the security guards.  I explained to them in Hindi that we wanted to light fireworks and they were amenable to the idea. Actually they were much more than amenable. They ended up following us, having a jolly good time watching AND helping us light the fireworks instead of reprimanding us.  

On another note, we have an update of Jeff's condition.  He has a hairline fracture of the 5th metatarsal in his foot. I have to admit that I was pretty proud of myself because I was able to diagnose him before he got an x-ray.  I may have to move ortho up on my list now. Even better, Jeff will be sporting a pink cast on his foot.  Hopefully Jeff will be able to move around easier with a cast now.  If not, I volunteer to put him under my knife in India, which he hasn't agreed to yet.

We have a video of the fireworks, but I'm having trouble loading it right now.  I'll try again later. 

-Taj


No comments: