Wednesday, July 2, 2008

An interesting few days here in Hubli

So as you may have known one of our partners in crime, Mairin, had been sick for a few days. After posting up in a hotel across the street from the engineering college and having a steady diet of ice cream for breakfast and Bollywood music videos, she is now back to health and is as sassy and demanding ever. She also claimed that since she had fallen ill, the rest of us would be fine, having taking the fall for everyone. Unfortunately, two days ago I took a literal fall of my own and sprained my ankle pretty badly. So right now I am speaking to you from my bed which I dont plan on leaving for a couple days. Since I have 3 weeks left here and a week in Kuala Lumpur and Hong Kong with my family I need to make sure that my ankle heals properly.

Just before spraining my ankle, three of us were awoken at 630 am by one of the surgeons here that we are working with to observe a surgery to treat a patient's oral cancer. 13 hours later (that's how long the surgery was), we were all in shock. It was like nothing we had ever seen before in the states. The surgeons were all extremely talented but there definitely is a huge difference between how surgery is performed here and in the States. (for one, everyone in the OR was required to flip flops...) It was also a great anti-tobacco chewing slogan in of itself. The girls in our group will have the privilege of watching a similar surgery shortly and I am sure they will share their impressions about it as well.

Lastly, I just want to point out that Indian food despite being delicious is basically covered in butter. Everything. Thankfully I have stored enough fat over the past few weeks so that I can hibernate here in my room while my ankle recooperates.

And just to keep everyone updated, we now successfully fit 7 people in a rickshaw.

Stay tuned for more commentary

2 comments:

Polai said...

Jeff, I hope your ankle gets better soon!

Jimmy R said...

JEFFREY! Stop being a fusspot! After reading Sagar's post and your post I'm not sure what to expect when you come back. You could be exactly the same or you could be a 300 pound asian version of Deer Hunter.

Sagar, good to hear that everything is going well. Do you think that the continent of Asia is ready for you + an open bar? Enjoy the wedding and post pictures.